10.21.2005

Stabs at design



So we've got some other shit in the works, and don't think you've heard the last from us on the dress code. Some folks think the topic's run its course, but between I and I, it's the lens through which the entire upcoming season must be viewed. Even if the controversy itself dies down, I'm all for believing that its repercussions will shape 2005-2006 in ways both drastic and miniscule. If nothing else, it probably leaves a lot more room for style-related considerations than The Big Redemption, which had been my front-runner for meta-storyline of the year (one that, the more I think about it, almost has to resort to those objective standards that we so so loathe).



But much in the way that I tried to get the world to help me unravel out my jersey problem, I now face the grueling task of figuring out just how to (or rather, how much to) base my coming year around the NBA. In the past, I was in the enviable position of being a semi-employed freelancer, with a part-time university job and a lot of time typing at home. Somehow, I also managed to convince those putatively special someones that I had to catch a certain number of games per week. As my fall, winter and spring begin to lurch into shape, however, it's becoming abundantly clear to me that I am only going to be able to pick one, maybe two, days to consistently have run of the mill with the league of my choosing. To make things even more difficult, Sundays have become somewhat problematic, blotching up the NFL and, later, most of the triple-header.

As I head into registration, with an eye toward next semester's job schedule and my future personal doings, I'm thinking about just locking down Thursdays. Two TNT games, usually somewhat weird, with enough to keep me going through the rest of the week. I have a standing, semi-regular hang at a sports bar on Wed., and figure that's probably also good for about a game and a half every other week. Factor in whatever I can catch of Sunday, and I should be able to keep my cred intact. And of course, all bets are off come playoff time.



On the other hand, I could just spring for League Pass and be at the mercy of only myself (THC's steez, as I understand it). Though that brings back some chilling memories of shoefly and myself trying with all our collective might to enjoy a Hawks/Pistons affair at 6PM on a Sunday some two years ago.

Look, I know we're all supposed to spend every second of our lives glued to Kenny Smith, but as the Recluse can attest, sometimes that's just not an option. I am trying to preserve that inner flame I call the Association while still taking part in those other, human activities like work, finishing this fucking master's, and tending to things that, dare I say, might be even more important in life than Gerald Green.

4 Comments:

At 10/21/2005 11:40 AM, Blogger zlm said...

more important than Gerald Green? Nocioni, my good man, Nocioni

 
At 10/21/2005 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've been alluding to this "other shit in the works" for quite some time. i'm starting to think it's the chinese democracy of basketball blogging.

 
At 10/21/2005 1:55 PM, Blogger Bethlehem Shoals said...

that's my way of saying "we actually have thought about our plan for the next few days, all of them are better ideas than what i'm posting now."

and there's also that other, not-on-the-blog thing we've been working on that i think i told you about. but at this point that's far less interesting to me than the possibility of us actually getting back to our 1 post a day clip in time for the season.

 
At 10/25/2005 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

join directv and get nba league pass plus free dvr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home