2.19.2007

Two Shucks of a Ladder



One last stab at FreeDarko All-Star Coverage. Maybe no one liked my theory that the Suns have made the All-Star Game into something legitimate. To which I would say, sometimes Doug Collins is wiser than he knows. And in retrospect, my point about Howard's burden was less than startling.

Nevertheless, please lend your fondest, softest ears to the wily Nathaniel Friedman's Chicago Sports Review piece on the Dunk Contest's self-image. Not surprisingly, he was completely and totally correct about what would happen. And yet from what he's told me, this soothsaying is about as trampled as God's watchful arms. Shibboleth.

4 Comments:

At 2/19/2007 7:59 PM, Blogger Tragic Johnson said...

I wrote something somewhat similar to Friedman's CSR article yesterday on my blog. I proposed my own reasons for the dunk contest's demise, as well as reasons for why I didn't enjoy All Star Saturday night. I'd be interested to hear what people think. Thanks, TJ

 
At 2/20/2007 12:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The problem with the dunk contest, which TJ mentions, is that we've seen all these dunks already... 360, through the legs, etc. That's why the top stars in the NBA don't even bother anymore - the Kobes, LeBrons, Vince Carters, et al - all know that anyone can do their dunks, even a 5'9 man. What is really left out there for them to do - dunk from the 3PT line?

In fact, the only thing left to do is showcase their ability to jump; if the NBA had allowed Dwight Howard to dunk on a elevated rim, I think the effect would have been the top players would have came back to the contest, to prove that they have more ups than the next player. That would have appealed to their competiveness; being judged in a contest where all too often the best dunks don't win amazingly doesn't seem too attractive to the stars of the NBA....

 
At 2/20/2007 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Dwight Howard, my favorite part of ASG this year was watching him face off against Amare down on the block. Whenever it happened, the whole game seemed to stop, as if every player on the court was legitimately interested in watching how this matchup would turn out. Both players seemed to get into it, too- fouling eachother to prevent easy buckets, trying to block eachothers dunks, etc.

 
At 2/27/2007 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are flips really out of the question for NBAers? Somebody show me a back flip reverse!


Honestly, if a figure skater can do it..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home