6.18.2009

Get a New Mazda

Belated Blogs with Balls thoughts in a second. But first:



This reminds of a Painted Area post that boldly and matter-of-factly declared Jennings the third-best prospect in the draft. This was based on actual observation, whereas everyone else was going on murky deductions about what Euro stats did or didn't mean, or a handful or anecdotal reports that trickled in from interested parties.

After watching this Rome-only Jennings mix, I see why he came to this conclusion. So maybe his stats had holes; aren't they supposed to? And I know the whole growth narrative matters, but it's too hazy to hang a multi-million dollar investment on. These clips make it pretty darn clear that Jennings wasn't stumbling through a foreign system. He's making plays here that evince exactly the same flamboyant, near-absurd, virtuosity—that I'm convinced is totally self-aware—but not in any way wrecking the integrity of his role. This is what Jennings more than Young Marbury 2. He's both more and less that cosmic force, Iverson's Zoroasterian battle within reconciled as a multi-national.

And about BwB . . . I can't really add much to the zillion recaps that have already been written. It was great to meet a bunch of people I've emailed with, and—gasp—in some cases, make the acquaintance of some folks with whom I'd had zero blog interaction. The HHR crew deserve oodles of credit to pulling together and pulling off an event that kept changing and evolving. GQ's party was fun, and I hate parties. I'm not even mad at y'all for spreading petty rumors about my love for Ricky Rubio!



I know my panel was crazy and all, and did produce this lasting tribute to how loathsome and noisy I am, but I think one key thing got lost in there, and in the conference as a whole. Yes, in part I wanted to question the whole blog/MSM blood-feud, and wonder why exactly newspaper men and bloggers had convinced themselves it was 1917 Russia all over again. Bloggers are not inherently noble, or part of some movement that will carry us all to heaven; established writers should not think the sky is falling, or that all's relative and everyone has voice, because people just aren't that stupid; the Ibanez saga says to me that treading lightly when it comes to steroids is impossible, so if you want to be taken seriously and not just be seen as a cranky fan, you should be ready to dig in your heels and pound the pavement!!! And yes, I probably cursed out all bloggers and journalists who can't write well, or report well when they have to. Merit is not dead, it just got less exclusive.

But what I really want to get out there was how little print media other than newspapers were discussed. Newspapers are in trouble, and have been for some time, which kind of makes them an easy target, like the steroids of media upheaval. However, yours truly has always been most interested in magazines and books. Jeff Pearlman at one point said that books were now his medium of choice. Other than that, nothing. I know that all publishing is a mess right now, but I felt a little out of place when the main issues were 1) learning how to ball out like Jason McIntyre 2) getting hired to kill off beat writers.

I don't see why at least magazines can't figure prominently into this discussion. After all, if you want to make a living writing, they're still a decent source of (intermittent, supplementary) income. And it's kind of insulting to bloggers to assume that, while they can move in on one quadrant of print media, they're somehow barred from making the same kind of transition that so many "real journalistz" have made. That's the blog ghetto all over again.

And anyone who doesn't think it should be a global priority for Spencer Hall to get a book out there soon is not a part of the same "movement" as me.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 6/18/2009 3:34 PM, Blogger Jamøn Serrano said...

It's cool that deadspin takes the other angle of the blogger future possibilities with traditional media figures finding the web as a viable modicum of expression with that Len Berman piece.

Jennings has some shooting form.

loathsome is a quality I look for in a writer.

 
At 6/18/2009 5:53 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Wait--anyone who DOESN'T think we SHOULDN'T be rooting for Spencer Hall to get a book out is not a part of the same movement as you? So you're saying that you think we shouldn't all be rooting for Spencer Hall? Any reason why not? I happen to think the guy's pretty smart. EDSBS is no FD, but what is for CFB?

 
At 6/18/2009 5:54 PM, Blogger Bethlehem Shoals said...

Ooops, typo city and triple-negative. I meant we should want Spencer to get a book out. Fixing that now.

(this from the person who insists on quality writing above all else)

 
At 6/18/2009 8:00 PM, Blogger Tom said...

*Whew*. I was gonna say, Shoals. I was gonna say.

 
At 6/18/2009 8:34 PM, Blogger Reverend Paul Revere said...

Well said all around Shoals. I was in attendance, and I'm borderline obsessive with FreeDarko, so I'm saddened to say I didn't get a chance to formally meet you there. But I agree with you 100 percent on magazines.

I work in the magazine industry, so I know the opportunities there. Either way, kudos to HHR, and damn man, that ESPN honey has the eyes for you.

 
At 6/18/2009 9:45 PM, Blogger Dan Filowitz said...

Coincidentally, I watched the Jennings video with its sound off and instead listening to the new Polvo song they had on Pitchfork

It actually kind of worked. I'm not sure what that means, but I thought you'd all want to know. Try it out yourself, even, and get your Dark Side/Dorothy on.

 
At 6/19/2009 1:10 AM, Blogger Joey said...

*thumbs up* -- Kidz in the Hall

 
At 6/19/2009 7:36 AM, Blogger ruymanfm said...

You sure aren´t those all the baskets and assits Jennings did in Rome? It´s not only about stats, but also every bad decision he took. For every five meter jump shot, how many did he missed?

 
At 6/20/2009 4:32 PM, Blogger Eric (Extra P.) said...

Oh man, harsh truth... magazines are only useful as supplementary income? I guess that's true - even my paying gigs are on the internet for the most part. But I clearly need to develop more outlets.

Cool to see you there, in the basement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home