2.12.2005

Upper Deck Conspiracy Theories

I bought a pack of basketball cards last night.

It contained the cards for:

Wang Zhizhi
Antoine Walker
Mike Dunleavy
Earl Boykins
Mike Bibby
Damon Stoudamire
Larry Hughes
Tracy McGrady (Flight Team Hologram in a Magic Jersey and Rockets Logo)
Kirk Snyder Rookie Scrapbook

As I flipped through the cards one by one, my girlish giggles continued to elevate. I don't ever recall laughing so hard when buying a pack of cards before. Perhaps its because I hadn't bought one in a while, or because I was drunk.

The crazy in me thinks that perhaps the Basketball Trading Card market has dried up, and Upper Deck has to "stack the deck" so to speak with the Freak Shows of the NBA. C'mon we're talking about getting Wang Zhizhi, Earl Boykins and Dunleavy in a pack of cards!

What are the odds. Where are the Pervis Ellison and Chris Gatling stacked packs that left all of us wanting so much more?

I rather think however, it has something to do with the world's greatest league with a cast of characters so dense, even the lame ones are interesting.

At work I won't put up pictures of my family, but I now have my Wang card in my picture frame.

Thank you, NBA. Thank you, Upper Deck.

1 Comments:

At 2/12/2005 1:03 PM, Blogger Bethlehem Shoals said...

as some of you may or may not remember, i used to be in the habit of buying a pack of upper deck basketball when i was on my way out to the suburbs. one day i got one that had every single player that intrigued me in the league in it. all of them borderline future star types. there was no one legitimately famous in the whole thing, it was like the pack was assembled to make me happy. thank you, upper deck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home