12.16.2005

Hee Haw Was ILLLLLLLL

Hello to all. I have returned. Upon hearing that my boy Gary Trent was released from Lottomatica Virtus Roma (Italy), I immediately had to take a trip Eastward to go through some one-on-one workouts with him and see what the deal was. As luck would have it, I also got to stay in Tarcento/Udine, a mere 30KM from the Slovenian border. So for fun during the day, Gary and I would take trips over the border to watch Erazem Lorbek's younger brother, Bjanko, play in the under-13 league. Ah, the work of an Eastern Bloc scout is never done...

I am here to formally introduce the new banner that emblazons our sacred home. Just speaking personally, pre-WarAtHome Michael Rapaport (here as Thomas Dunwitty) embodies many of the ideals I strive for within my Freedarko ramblings: proclamation of white guilt, hip-hop credibility devoid of any Danny Hochian "LOOK HOW FUCKING DOWN I AM, PA!" exploits, acceptance from both Woody Allen and Spike Lee (the Marc Stein and Stephen A. Smith of their respective craft), and a true appreciation of hoops.

As a 13-year-old, while working for the hometown Timberwolves, I got to meet Rapaport, who attended a Sonics/Wolves game while in town filming Beautiful Girls. I was asked to relay messages back and forth between Rapaport and Shawn Kemp (the two of them having evidently forged some post-Rock-n-Jock friendship). Although I remember none of the content of those exchanges, I walked away with a deep respect for both Rapaport and Kemp as human beings. This story is rather pointless, and now that I am re-reading this, this post in full quite self-indulgent, but I hope in future weeks to recall better and juicier stories from my 6-year employment with the NBA.

Also, in the meantime, I will be acting agent for Gary Trent. My man's got an array of post moves and can still give a hard six with the best of em.


Call us.


3 Comments:

At 12/16/2005 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back.

You guys got big ups from McSweeney's.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/recommends/

If you haven't seen.

 
At 12/17/2005 10:21 PM, Blogger jon faith said...

Have enjoyed the sumptuous provisions of this past week, still have personal fish for frying given the predilection for stereo-lynching, suhc passes for the sociology of the sport in these sad times. This spot on trent reminded me of that zine eXile in Moscow where one fo the coeditors was the Rodzilla of Mongolia, how is Cory Beck, still playing in the Baltics? The prior comaprison of the League withthe Eng;ands Premier was likewise fecund. I think one differentiate between the erudite fan- those who enjoys the game; those that follow players and, finally, the "zeks" those that follow the home squad (hell or highwater before falling to either racial scapegoats or screaming conspiracy theories from the latest highrise.)

 
At 12/19/2005 1:31 PM, Blogger O.D.B. said...

Hey Darko-ites, have y'all heard about this book:
'Crashing the Borders: How Basketball Won the World and Lost Its Soul at Home,' by Harvey Araton

Check out the review, very freedarko:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/18/books/review/18wolff.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home