1.06.2007

Is the News Merely Late?



With the sightless Gilbert-love once again going strong on FreeDarko, I'm wondering why no one ever mentioned The Party, comments sections included. I'd pose the same question to Matthew Yglesias, whose spot has also become a hub for highbrow Arenas chatter. Not sure if it says something about the current glut of Gilbert content, or a fear that this production was a little too conventionally high-flying. Regardless, I don't have the answer, and I hope someone else does.

Over at the FanHouse, though, there was nothing more natural than spending my entire day plying Party-related goodies. Jamie Mottram and Unsilent Majority both were on hand, and blessed me with with plenty of eye-watering information (1, 2, 3). And yeah, it does all get legitimately "eye-watering" once you've grasped the import of this UM observation:

Whenever I saw Gil he just looked like a kid in a candy store, as if he couldn't believe all of this was here for him. Every time he got around the crowd, people started the MVP chant.

If I weren't so fucking blogged-out, I would have a post ready on that one. Suffice it to say that this wasn't your normal exercise in egotism or extravagance. Exhibit B, also from UM:

Never saw anybody even get close to fighting, everybody was watchin' out for everybody else's. When somebody stepped on my Bruno Magli's they turned and apologized. People were bumping into people all night but no problems...and I've never seen that before. Then again, I left before three. People were probably there till five.

TRANFORMER OF COMMUNITY. The Takeover seemed impossibly vague at first, and now it's looking almost unfathomably far-reaching!!!!!!! On the court, in the air, in the schools...that barely discernible shudder is one man shifting the entire globe!!!!!!

Two blogs worth reading:

Sports on My Mind
Another Damn Hobby

3 Comments:

At 1/06/2007 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fairness, Yglesias has to split time b/t Gilbert worship and writing about American foreign policy coming apart at the seams due to unbelievable incompetence.

Tough to multitask.

 
At 1/06/2007 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know the real reason why Gilbert had this huge party, even though he's mostly a hermit? Two words: Pops Arenas. The proud father was hamming it up on stage, just like any parent that uses a kid's birthday party as an excuse to get wasted and act sleazy. (I'm using my own childhood birthday parties as my point of reference.) In fact, 25 is possibly the cut-off child age for such behavior. Birthday parties are where your friends party with your family. Gilbert can't take Papi to the club (not regularly, anyway), but if he throws a party, the club can come to Papi.

 
At 1/08/2007 12:10 AM, Blogger Gentlewhoadie Apt One said...

"everybody get drunk and make bad decisions"

sometimes things happen that make your mind swerve uncontrollably within your skull but also through time and space.

kapow!

P.S. Shoals, we now have a blueprint for my birthday party 07 so you best be in the place. Puttin golden tickets in eights all over the east coast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home