1.12.2010

The Day the Earth Stood Stil



The problem with trying to write about my old-new (or is it new-old?) gig at FanHouse? All that comes to mind is cliches, which even when damaged remain cliches. They say you can't go home again, but you can. They say they never really miss you till you're dead or you're gone. Yet cliches, and their bastard derivatives, are true for a reason. So, as they say in Spartacus, it's huntin' time!!!!

I started my professional blogging career at AOL back in 2006, which was also when the sky opened up and this started to look like a viable career for many of us. We were are so young then. That's when I got to know Ziller, Skeets, Matt Watson, Alana G, Nate Jones, and a slew of other talented folks who were part of that early operation, helmed by the indomitable Jamie Mottram. But it was fun like the gold rush was fun, which meant we also worked hard, dealt with growing pains–ours, AOL's, the field's—and drove ourselves into the ground. I bled and cried as much as anyone, which is a weird thought if you know me. So eventually I left for cushier pastures, like when everyone on Deadwood keeps threatening to go back East and take a bath.

As time went by, though, I saw my old friends rise in the ranks. I saw bloggers get the respect they deserved. I saw FanHouse look less like a free-for-all, and more like a German automobile, which I'm pretty sure ruins my Deadwood analogy. And so, after two years away, I'm back starting today. I'll still be a little less nuts than on FD, but they want me for me. I'm reunited with Tom, which means more far-out infographics. Matt's now my boss, but refuses to let me call him "Sir Watson" or "Mr. Livingston". It's good to be back working with the likes of Brett and Nate, as well as folks like Rob Peterson and Matt Moore whom I met in the interim. Producer Randy Kim is someone I share some real world, non-hoops friends with. Ain't that a sign.

Speaking of change, let it be known that Eric Freeman, a.k.a. Ty Keenan, is taking over The Baseline. I think he sent an email to some press people entitled "FreeDarko Sleeper Cell Emerges at Sporting News." This post on first coaching jobs is an early favorite of mine.

He wanted me to call this announcement "Tell your God to be ready for blood," but that was scary. So I've opted for a straightforward title, and this Robert John Wilkins/Rolling Stones quote for the close: "Kill that calf and call the family round/my son was lost but now he is found/'cause that's the way for us to get along". You were just spared a Fat Joe clip, so be thankful and get pumped!!!!!!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 1/12/2010 12:15 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Congrats. I'll be reading, as I'm sure we all will be.

 
At 1/12/2010 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop playing with my emotions!

On a more serious note I look forward to the collabos with Ziller, though I feel that you may be saving the best for the new book, as you very well should.

 
At 1/12/2010 4:32 PM, Blogger MC Welk said...

You make it sound like it was so long ago.

wv: shroaval

 
At 1/12/2010 4:47 PM, Blogger Deckfight said...

guess i'll go back to fanhouse. & i've picked up skeets along the way. but i've kind of enjoyed the baseline w/ its design quaintness--& its reserved southern genteelness (it's in charlotte right?). so maybe i'll stick to it.

 
At 1/12/2010 6:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Six said...

Congrats. They need to get your RSS feed up and running.

 
At 1/12/2010 6:27 PM, Blogger Matt Watson said...

Welcome back, Sr. Shoals.

Mr. Six: it never really went away, it just got kind of stale ...

http://www.fanhouse.com/staff/bethlehem-shoals/rss.xml

 

Post a Comment

<< Home