3.11.2010

Sam Cassell Gestures



Ken and Dan discuss the role of a crazy guy like Matt Barnes on a team like the Magic, also reflecting on past instances of living by page one of "the macho code" in order to succeed in the playoffs. Barnes’ intensity/recklessness also seems relevant now because of the “Winning Time” documentary from ESPN, the connection to which is nicely articulated by Dan Devine at Ball Don’t Lie.

Ken and Dan also discuss the media’s reaction to Iverson. Which is sad. Such is life.

To kick off the show, Ken does a little basketblogger outreach and tells the world about a few of our listeners who happen to have blogs or podcasts of their own. These projects are listed below. It would mean a great deal to the both Ken and Dan if you would give some of your fellow DOC listeners a chance to entertain you with their efforts . . . you just might discover your next favorite voice. Here’s the list:

Lend your ear:



The music from this episode:

* Auld Lang Syne - Glen Miller Orchestra
* Dirty Boulevard - Lou Reed
* Stranger Song - Leanord Cohen
* Smith and Jones Forever - Silver Jews

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3/12/2010 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very nice and unexpected plug for the BDL piece, guys — thanks for the kind words and the link. Although you doing nice things in the present tense is messing with my travels through the DoC’s past — I’m a late-to-the-party listener who’s been firing through the back catalog over the past few weeks. (Nice Skip Gates talk with Bomani Jones in Ep. 63, BTW.)

See, part of me tends to agree with the notion that great teams need someone to play the kind of “fuck you, pay me” role that Barnes seems to inhabit on Orlando, but maybe my opinion’s similarly galvanized by the ’90s Knicks. I mean, who was that guy on the ‘08-’09 Lakers? For that matter, who’s that guy on this year’s model? Reputationally, my head’s screaming Artest, but since leaving Indiana, has he really been that guy? We’re forever hearing that Kobe’s sociopathically competitive, but can your best guy also be your bulldog? Something about that feels odd.

Also, while my Starks-loving ass will forever respect the lesser light willing to mush the starting QB at lunch in front of the whole school, I think those who derided Barnes feel impelled to do so by the fact that he’s obviously nowhere near Kobe’s tax bracket — like, his arms are too short to box with a four-time champ and MVP, so he needs to just step back.

 
At 3/13/2010 2:12 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I know posting's been a bit slow over here lately ...

but JR's dunk the other night practically begs for its very own entry.

Just sayin.

 
At 3/16/2010 12:06 AM, Blogger Asher said...

"See, part of me tends to agree with the notion that great teams need someone to play the kind of “fuck you, pay me” role that Barnes seems to inhabit on Orlando, but maybe my opinion’s similarly galvanized by the ’90s Knicks. I mean, who was that guy on the ‘08-’09 Lakers?"

Well the thing is, maybe great teams do need someone in that role, but not every champion is a great team. Some of the Spurs winners were not the greatest teams, and I wouldn't say last year's Lakers were a great team so much as simply a very talented one. The same seems even more true this year. But bottom line, I'd tend to think that if you have enough good players and enough of them aren't total wimps, the lack of a fuck you pay me player isn't a killer. That said, you look at LA this year, particularly their front line, and you have to be concerned about the lack of toughness vis-a-vis Martin/Anderson/Nene. But that's not an issue of lacking the one fuck you player, it's more an issue of rampant docility.

 
At 6/14/2013 3:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know if I belive the Macho code. but at least he adds some value to the people that they follow the playoff. Thanks I will share it with the Host Pay Per Head community.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home