4.19.2008

A Grim Welcome



This day is way too much like the big French dinner I had last night. Both have left me stupefied, and capable only really of reflecting on my own mortality—or, as it were, the mortality of my ability to process basketball in a meaningful way. I've taken down that other post, since it confused me.

Did want to mention this, though:

"You can say I destroyed the game, but maybe you need to stop making excuses."

I don't think any kid says "Jordan made such a mess of this sport that I don't need a jumper." It would make more sense if MJ were addressing a roomful of old white men, trying to convince them that really, they do like the NBA. They just don't know it yet, or won't admit it.

Hey, here's our Deadspin preview of Nuggets/Lakers.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4/20/2008 1:17 AM, Blogger Louie Bones said...

Damn, I wish I hadn't missed the post you took down. I'm pretty sure I've seen that happen more than once here, and I was intrigued last time. Something about broken idea I enjoy. Kinda like socially/emotionally/professionally flawed ball players. See if you can't glean something from it.

KUTGW.

 
At 4/20/2008 6:24 PM, Blogger Tom Deal said...

it would have made more sense if it was young jordan (87'-90')

but personally, i confirm it. i thought that commercial was sweet, and it totally jives with what i've always thought about old jordan. he made the game look easy because he played at a totally different level. when he beat his defender, it was less a tj ford burst of speed or a lebron james strongarming, and much more him majicking his way in front of them. it was like he played in a different dimension than everyone else, with the power to simply move them at his whim.

also, the commercial totally fit with his whole thing about personality. like it was a big "do i need to remind you how hard I worked? do you KNOW who I am?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home