8.11.2008

Each Day Is a Lifetime, 8.11.08



I know everyone's up to their hips in Olympics, but please check out my attempt to look elsewhere. Now, the trinkets:

-VERY SPECIAL UPDATE: Dr. LIC's real name, and first article for ESPN Mag.

-Yes, we all know Jackson had a track record of honesty before the Warriors—the Pacers were like some primal scream therapy, and the Golden State he found the perfect synthesis of his two past selves. Whereas Ricky Davis has rarely demonstrated anything resembling civic virtue. But here Walton's Wisdom, suggesting that Baron/Ricky could be Baron/S-Jax redux. Not so silly, when you remember just how multi-skilled Tyree Ricardo really is. (BS)

-The Dream Team through the lens of Kurosawa. I think. I don't really watch him much; I stand by this quote from Cinematic Damnation: "Yes, I know, Kurosawa's films are better from an artistic standpoint. However, most of Kurosawa's films, as wonderful and emotional as they are, just aren't that much fun to watch. Fukasaku's films, on the other hand, are a fucking blast. As Patrick Macias noted in his book Tokyoscope: The Japanese Cult Film Companion, if Kurosawa is Japan's John Ford, Fukasaku is surely the country's Sam Peckinpah". (BS)

-Is Masha's mention of "Shoals" a sign of her deep respect for my writing? Ironically, this translation reads a lot like older FD. (BS, from MC Welk)



-This shit is getting everywhere already, but we stake our claim out of principle and deepest feeling. In her autobiography, Jane Fonda credits Lewis with getting her into radical politics on the set of They Shoot Horses, Dont They?. Responsible for Hanoi Jane and rolled with Tarkanian. That's like Moe Berg for the empire I never knew. (BS)

-While everyone else worries about whether (women's) beach volleyball is sexist, I'm struck by how much it's like basketball, right down to the language of the announcing. It's basically like a non-stop series of drives to the basket, if there were someone living in the basket. Good time to revisit Wilt Chamberlain's major role in the game's development.(BS)

TK: Is it worth mentioning anything about how the Bushes and Kissinger looked really bored during the game, or is that just assumed at this point?

BS: I do think it's interesting that, between how unfettered the USA played, and that Nike commercial (and the fact the Coach K turned the team onto Marvin's rendition) that BLACK IS NOW OFFICIALLY AMERICAN.



-I'm surprised that I'm the one making this trenchant point about NBA families and the Olympics. (BS)

-Old All-Star game footage is getting to be a dime a dozen, and oftentimes just succeeds in stripping away the luster of legend. Uh, not this clip from the 1977 ASG, the first one Dr. J played in the NBA. It looks like the Olympic team, without all the angst:



In the future, someone will start fabricating "historical" YouTube vids. If only so that will replace the "look what I did on a video game" video that is the bane of my inefficient existence. (BS).

UPDATE: Via First Cuts and Unsilent, for now all we can do is gaze on it at Dustin's blog. Hopefully there's a shirt in the works, and I'll get one. Especially since the Beasley "I have a dream" joint never got made. (BS)

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8/11/2008 1:11 PM, Blogger MC Welk said...

By the time I get to Phoenix she'll be rising
She'll find the note I left hangin' on her door
She'll laugh when she reads the part that says I'm leavin'
'Cause I've left that girl so many times before

By the time I make Albuquerque she'll be working
She'll prob'ly stop at lunch and give me a call
But she'll just hear that phone keep on ringin'
Off the wall that's all

By the time I make Oklahoma she'll be sleepin'
She'll turn softly and call my name out loud
And she'll cry just to think I'd really leave her
Tho' time and time I try to tell her so
She just didn't know I would really go

 
At 8/11/2008 1:33 PM, Blogger Bethlehem Shoals said...

I like the Erma Franklin version better, but yeah, R.I.P.

Also, everyone check the top for a very important update.

 
At 8/11/2008 3:43 PM, Blogger blake said...

I can't believe it... I'm actually going to open my ESPN magazine this week!

 
At 8/11/2008 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A big congrats to the Dr.! It was a great read...especially when you're throwing stats around like a broken pinata throws candy.

 
At 8/11/2008 3:57 PM, Blogger Dude N Plenty said...

Shouldn't Obama be in a UN Peacekeepers jersey. No doubt they like being carried by the US while raining pain on it. Does Obama play the 2? If so, did he community organize an avoidance of the term shooting guard?

 
At 8/11/2008 6:02 PM, Blogger McFruity said...

Congrats DLIC.

"I do think it's interesting that, between how unfettered the USA played, and that Nike commercial (and the fact the Coach K turned the team onto Marvin's rendition) that BLACK IS NOW OFFICIALLY AMERICAN." -- During this year's finals, I wrote a little half-joking thing saying "Euro" is the new "Black" (http://fruithoopz.blogspot.com/2008/06/euro-is-new-black-redux.html).

I think "Black is now officially American" is kind of the flip-side of that, sort of.

Sorry about the self-linking, it seemed relevant . . ..

 
At 8/11/2008 9:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Big up Dr. LIC! Good news, indeed!

 
At 8/12/2008 3:45 AM, Blogger Avinash said...

Awesome DLIC.

This Greek team has so much swag. They pass like maniacs, they pound the boards, and they run and gun. There has to be a franchise we can tear apart and place fifty Greeks on.

 
At 8/12/2008 4:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

DLIC is the same dude who used to be on Squeeze Radio? (Don't mean to blow up spots - but this is pretty small worlds coming together.)

 
At 8/12/2008 7:29 PM, Blogger Thomas M. said...

My only issue with that is that Obama's a lefty.

Heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home