3.13.2011

Cultures of Basketball Course Diary: Exquisite Corpse (Day 15)


I'm tense. Whenever something good happens (like being asked to play last week), I'm immediately afraid it of it breaking. So I'm tense. Not only is Shoals about to come to Michigan to visit class and give his talk, but the Big Ten Tournament was to begin on Thursday and, while my students weren’t actually scheduled to play until Friday, I’d already received the form e-mail informing that they’d be traveling to Indianapolis for the tournament on Thursday. Still I gripped tightly to the vain hope that they’d be there on Thursday. After all, we had so much to talk about: our intra-class game had evolved in my mind into an intra-class World Cup style 8 team two round tournament complete with jerseys, nicknames, team names and logos and a ping pong ball lottery to round out the eight teams (each of which would be headed by a UM player).

Alas, as I walked into the room, my heart sank: no players. The e-mail had spoken truth. There were more important things in their lives than this class and the intra-class tournament … more important things than me. It’s weird to me, but I guess I can understand it. And anyway, my heart didn’t sink too far, because the flipside of the players being gone is that there’s more room in our classroom and it’s easier to keep the discussion focused and, particularly, to keep it on the text. I’m sure it’s partly just that the lower numbers are easier for me to handle. Partly also that I am more properly teacherly when I’m faced with students who do not simultaneously embody a fantasy that decades I once harbored of what I might, but failed, to become. But also, though I hate to say it, it is because those damn players giggle and whisper to each other like 6th grade schoolgirls at recess. What’s up with that?

Still, even without the players, it took us a while to settle down. We had to discuss their chances in the Big Ten Tourney, plus the various projections about where they might be seeded in the NCAA tournament. Then, of course, we had to talk about our tournament – lots of announcements there. And then finally, we had to discuss Bethlehem Shoals upcoming visit to our classroom and his public lecture at Michigan. Then, Oh God! they actually proposed that we should hold our St. Patrick’s Day class meeting, which in all likelihood would also be Michigan’s first day in the NCAA tournament at a bar with beer, or, in class with beer where, it was proposed, we could watch tournament games via the projector in the classroom. I’m thinking that this class has gotten away from me. I’m thinking that I never had this class in the first place. I’m realizing that I have gotten away from me.

As usual, I regain a grip on myself by ruthlessly repressing them. “Settle down,” I intone, repeating the phrase as if they were preschoolers, “settle down now.” I feel like a phlebotomist jabbing at an elusive vein. Except I’m trying to jab at that button that I thought a repressive educational system would have installed in these students long ago: you know, the one that infantilizes them, makes them afraid of authority and humiliation and incapable of thinking for themselves.

"Go to your cubbies, take out your mats, It’s time to have a short nap. After that we’ll have snack and then we’ll watch clips of the young Michael Jordan to go along with Shoals’ chapter on the subject.” I know they’re not the only ones who are excited. In fact, they didn’t even start it today. Well, maybe they did. The truth is I don’t remember. I just know that we’ve burned a good twenty minutes on fun, happy-go-lucky, laissez-faire bullshit and it feels like what the announcers call a “turning point”. I need to get a stop right here. I do, they settle in to watch the video, but I think it’s less out of fear, or even respect, and more just out of a kind of bored indulgence in my fantasy that this is actually a university classroom and not an annex of Good Time Charley’s that just happens to be located on campus.

We watch the 4:35 seconds of NBA sponsored, pre 1990 MJ highlights. I feel like I’m at a Fireworks show. Darkness, silence, expectation, restlessness – each in his or her own private world from which we emerge periodically, briefly, to exchange a collective “ooh.” It is, it strikes me, as though we are staging a skit about the birth of language and society. Or perhaps it is more than that because we haven’t rehearsed or planned this ahead of time and we are surprisingly unselfconscious. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that in these sporadic, exchanged exhalations we are spontaneously living a moment like the ones from which language first emerged.



The lights come on and as always they break the spell. But somehow it seems gentler this time around. Maybe because even though the darkness has been dispelled, the silence pervades. I take a second to unhook cords, let the big screen roll back up, turn off equipment. Then I ask them what they saw besides elevation. Here is what they said:

1.Lots of run outs
2.Lots of isos
3 Few passes
4.Few jumpers
5.Everything at the rim
6.How adept he is at using his large hands and his body control to protect the ball in order to get a clean shot off in traffic.

All of these were accurate observations. In fact, I counted. The clip showed 24 different made baskets. Those 24 baskets came on 2 jump shots, 8 variations on the lay up, and 14 dunks. Tactically speaking, 11 of the 24 baskets came on fast break run outs, 9 came on half court isolation sets, and 2 came on give and go’s in the half court. And I myself had felt moved to write, when I was first watching the clip myself, that the way Jordan uses his body in mid air it is almost as though he is setting moving picks for himself.

Now, there are several students in the class from Chicago whose first basketball memories – as mine are of Clyde, Big O, and the early 70s Bucks – are of Jordan of the second three-peat era from 1996-1998. We call them Jordan babies. By no means were they the only ones to participate in the discussion but they were, I would say, perhaps, the most invested. For these students, this young Jordan really stood out. Don’t get me wrong: these are knowledgeable Bulls fans and they’ve seen this younger Jordan on video before. All the more reason why, perhaps, they were so clear and emphatic on the difference between this Jordan and the one of their early childhoods.

Which brought us perfectly to the FD chapter, written by Bethlehem Shoals, on “The Invention of Air: The Brash, Brilliant Doodles of Young Jordan.” The first comment a student made was that it seemed to him that Shoals was almost trying to “villainize” Young MJ. I felt the student was perhaps himself uncertain about his word choice, but I knew what he was getting at: that: Shoals’ chapter seems to be trying to keep alive for memory a rougher-around-the-edges, more confrontational Jordan, on and off the floor, than the one that these students grew up idolizing.

I had worried there would be resistance to this in class and this first comment put me a bit on my guard. I meant to ask him: “Why might this be so? What is the value of this move? Why does Shoals devote two chapters to Jordan, the young brash Jordan and the six title winning Jordan?” But instead, I immediately defended the choice. I pointed out that within the ethical universe of FreeDarko, a Jordan who isn’t always an obedient and polished corporate spokesman is less a villain than a hero, or perhaps best of all “an anti-hero” (which was cool, because that after all is the topic of Shoals upcoming lecture). He’s the one shaking up the comfortable, and their comfortable narratives. So I kind of spilled the beans.

But the students weren’t resistant to the idea anyway. On the contrary they seemed into it. They unanimously agreed that it was a good idea to split Jordan up into two Jordans. And they seemed intrigued by the characterization of the young Jordan; maybe the way some teenagers are intrigued by stories of the time their parents first got drunk, or smoked weed. I told them some stories about the Bad Boys and the rivalry between Isiah and Michael, which seemed to interest them more than any other stories I’ve ever shared with them.

Toward the end of class we got the point in the text that most fascinates me (and, I was pleased, fascinated them as well). But we didn’t get as much time on it as I wanted, so I want to do a bit more thinking about it here. Speaking of the transition, where Jordan began to give up the dunk for the jump shot, Shoals writes: “The dunk takes an instant and an eternity; it’s both completely frivolous and totally domineering, a flash of light so blinding and brief that it might as well have never happened. A shot was the stuff of narrative; it was itself a story with a built-in arc, climax, and resolution. It also served as the perfect punctuation to any possession, game, season, or career.”


The first thing the students and I both thought about this was that it was a stroke of hoops culture genius to yoke together two kinds of shot – dunk and jumper – with two forms of expression: the exclamation, let us say, and the narrative. Within the overall argument of the chapter, Shoals point is that Michael made a choice to alter his game, and his image, not only to win titles but to become the stuff of official NBA history.

It is to say that Michael’s transition from the high-flying solo dunker that we watched in class – all run-outs and isos – to the Triangle-playing, Phil-obeying, jump shooting team player that won 6 titles in 8 years was not only effective on the court in making his team more successful and not only more effective, thereby, in cementing his place as the consensus Greatest of All Time. It was also effective as a – admittedly probably unintentional -- poetic tactic whereby he made his game more amenable to narrative; narrative, which, after all is essential to the circulation of legend and its transmutation into the concrete forms of Official History.

I think about the fireworks. I think about the “oohs” and “aahs” in class. And I see perfectly what Shoals is saying. There’s no way to build a history out of those exclamations. They are, as I had felt in class, little more than a baby’s first words. Significant as such, but with little staying power, like leftover pieces of a puzzle we have lost; or the screws leftover after assembling some piece of furniture.

In this case, as Shoals already pointed out earlier in the chapter the Story of Michael’s Greatness borrows a specific narrative trajectory, well known to lit crit types like me: the bildungsroman, or novel of formation. In that novelistic form, the protagonist, usually a talented and energetic, but raw, provincial comes to the big city, to the center of culture in his universe. There, little by little, he is formed, shaped at once by his own ambition to be recognized by that culture and by the demands that culture makes of those who would be recognized by it. In the end, the individual accepts the prevailing ethos of the culture in exchange for recognition by it and that ethos is thereby affirmed.

According to Shoals, Michael, the brutally talented individual, eventually works hard, learns (from the Master Phil Jackson no less) how “less is more” (see the graphic in the chapter that shows how the Bulls win totals rise each year as Jordan’s scoring average drops), subordinates himself for the team and, in the end, wins titles and the eternal admiration of all.

As Obi Wan says to Darth Vader, “If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.” Something like that is the deal the young Jordan strikes with the old Jordan. If you agree not to score 37 points per game for your whole career (which is an abomination to the game), then you can win titles with obscene ease, drain a few legendary game winning jumpers, and we will never, ever forget you. Young Michael lowers his light sabre, folds his hands across his chest, and is launched into hoops immortality.

I’m totally down with all this and think it does a brilliant job of rescuing some promising castoffs from the side of the road of history. I’m reminded of the German philosopher Walter Benjamin’s recognition that there is “no document of civilization which is not at the same time a document of barbarism.” He meant that all that we remember, all that we celebrate as triumph is simultaneously a defeat for someone else, a record of something or someone having been crushed and tossed to the side. Accordingly, he recommended a way of thinking about history whereby those fragments might be gathered up. They might not ever form a standard narrative, but they could, with care, be held together, and presented as a kind of alternative to that standard narrative and a reminder that what took place was neither inevitable, nor one sided, nor without some struggle and violence.


Shoals here has presented the fragments left behind, the McDonald’s wrappers that Jordan and the NBA and hoops culture as a whole threw out the window as they tore town the Interstate at breakneck speed toward individual immortality and league global domination. It reminds me of the difference between Old Elvis and Young Elvis, between Old Marx and Young Marx and makes me think that Jordan, thanks to Shoals, gets like so few others to have it both ways: to have died young and so become immortal, and to have lived out and fulfilled his promise in the established world and so to have that immortality narrativized. Jordan is James Dean and Laurence Olivier; Maurice Stokes and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Maybe that is what it is to be the Greatest of All Time: to dunk and shoot the jumper. And I can’t really improve on that version of the story.

But I’d like to extend it with some wondering. I’m thinking of the dunk as the monosyllabic exclamation. And I’m thinking of the smooth, inevitable jump shot as the narrative of ineluctable triumphant conformity. But then I’m thinking of the video we watched. 14 dunks, 2 jump shots. But there were 8 other shots that were neither dunks nor jump shots. What is their discursive equivalent?

They were Jordan taking off somewhere within the general vicinity of the basket, leaving behind some earthbound defenders, encountering other, rising, obstacles in mid flight, fragments of bodies – arms, and hands – floating into his space, and Michael’s response: the body beginning to turn away from the basket and the defender, or, the knees drawing up toward the abdomen and the ball extending in one hand, he may begin to float beneath the basket; in either case, Michael designs and creates a physical space that he occupies alone, as he designs and creates it, in order to get the clear shot. Really, it is a space just for his left or right hand and the ball since that is all he needed to have cleared.


These plays, which are what I most remember of Jordan’s career, seem to me to carry the power of narrative unfolding, like a jumper, but without the foregone, prewritten character of that more predictable and repeatable shot. If these are part of what Shoals means by the “brash, brilliant doodles” of the chapter’s title, they might also be seen, in poetic terms, as Surrealist exquisite corpse prose exercises in which the story begin by one individual is continued by another and finished by yet another and nobody really knows how it will end until it has ended and then, and only then, will it have looked inevitable.

And that makes me realize that, whatever their differences, both the early Jordan dunk and the late Jordan jump shot share a sense of inevitability. But before one of the myriad variations on a layup that he improvised bounces around and drops in, before Michael lands in a cat like, thief like crouch, surrounded by defenders shaking their heads befuddled, before space once again becomes one, and grounded, and shared by us all – before all that, there is the dilated moment of extended exclamation, and wonder, and invested uncertainty: we don’t know how it will end, but it doesn’t matter, because we already care, it is already amazing, just as it is, a perfect slice of pure invention in process.

Labels: , , ,

27 Comments:

At 3/14/2011 4:01 PM, Blogger C Johnston said...

Very nice and interesting post. I wonder, however, whether this narrative accurately fits Jordan's career. In one sense, it certainly does. But I feel as if there are an infinite number of narratives we can draw, and in the end it becomes more of an intellectual pursuit for us than it does a truth-seeking process in which we try to parse Jordan's career. It reminds me of attempting to figure out which two dimensional plane a three dimensional line fits into. In reality, you can pick any plane, because there are infinitely many of them (imagine holding a string and placing a piece of paper on it with different angles and you will see what I mean). Similarly, we can draw many stories of Jordan's career. What about this one: he always wanted to win and as he became older, he got better at it? Or, he lost his explosiveness as he aged and had to rely more on jump shots, and he had better teammates so he had to carry less of the scoring load by himself? Either way, I like your version, whether I agree with its verity or not.

 
At 3/22/2011 10:07 AM, Blogger Yago Colás said...

Thanks for reading and for your comment. I've been running around a lot and so missed it until now. I certainly feel that what I wrote was an intellectual pursuit for me. Though I was certainly thinking about Jordan and watching Jordan as I was thinking and writing, I didn't imagine that I was trying to accurately encapsulate his career. There are, as you say, innumerable narratives that would fit (including your own). While these might be more satisfying the more they are tethered plausibly to something we might call his "actual career", ultimately they all always say as much about the narrator as about Jordan himself (including when Jordan himself is the narrator). They also will all be motivated by the pleasure of the narrator (even when that pleasure is taken by ascetically renouncing his own pleasure in favor of rigorously sticking to an "objective" version of the story).

I guess I think that whenever we are writing stories about hoops (or anything for that matter) it gets tricky, to say the least, to separate the watcher from the watched and so the narrator from the object of the narration and therefore also hard to get extremely precise in measurements of the truth content of the stories.

We are really expressing an imprecise zone of relation whose fundamental terms involve ourselves, the game on the floor, and language: just thinking about the complexity of each of the three terms on its own makes me dizzy and when you start trying to think about them in relation to one another, then the complexity is augmented exponentially and notions of truth become subtle and equally complex and so ought to be held very lightly.

 
At 7/30/2011 4:20 AM, Blogger dsadf said...

et assessments this legitimateness of movie star weibos and contains certified this Radiohead weibo since true That seashore can Discount Burberry be relaxed,In SinaYour regal set pleased the several 1000 men and women gathered to begin simply by jogging over Ed Hardy to move hands and prevent for any rapid speak, although some given these people flowers, like the east coast Burberry cheap Canadian flower, Lupins, and also hand-held Canadian red flags, though nipping picsLAUREL, Mont A neighborhood classifieds, this Billings Gazette, Nike Air Jordan Cheap provides function photographs of the turtle and also a gang of pelicans unsurprisingly with acrylic about them "Right right nike air jordan shoes now our primary attention is ensuring that most people are included Two of this alerts faulted the organization for Nike Air Max the crisis reply and pipe deterioration This individual had not been sporting your life vest this guitar rock Air Max Shoes band explained

 
At 9/22/2011 1:25 PM, Blogger Funny Actress pictures said...

Favorite funny actress??: Funny Actress pictures, Funny Actress images, Funny Actress Graphics, Comments, fotos, scraps and photos for Orkut, Myspace, Hi5, Friendster and more.

Cameron Diaz! How the Actress Stays Healthy: Happy 39th Birthday, Cameron Diaz! How the Actress Stays Healthy and Fit. Happy birthday, Cameron Diaz! Cameron, who just turned 39, is one fit inspiration.

Bruce Lee Biography: On November 27, 1940 in San Francisco, Lee Jun Fan was born in the Year of the Dragon at the Jackson St. Hospital...

Trade Show Models : Attractive and Experienced Girls for Trade Shows, Promotions and Conventions. Professional models that generate traffic and help boost revenue.

Women in Films & Movies: Entertainment Weekly Online has posted their top 25 sexiest women in movies. Identical Twins Don't Have Identical... 10 Things That Schools Have Banned..The 10 Hottest Indian Women

Most Sizzling Stills!: Actress Mayuri HOT Sizzling Photos. ... Hot Sizzling Anushka Spicy Photos ... Telugu Actress Sanjana Spicy Stills Similar Posts...

Houston Rockets Power Dancers: And when I say “Power” dancers I mean power dancers. These girls can seriously throw down.

 
At 1/16/2012 7:13 AM, Blogger FANdoo deals said...

Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome. You are really a master.

Best Deals in India

 
At 1/17/2012 4:55 AM, Blogger Mizan Hassan said...

Best Daily Deals | Discount Deals | Deals Online
"Get the best daily deals, deals online, discount and discount deals from Buysteals.com in just ONE email that's filtered for the stuff you want."
Discount"Get the best daily deals, deals online, discount and discount deals from Buysteals.com in just ONE email that's filtered for the stuff you want."
Discount
deals
discounts
best deal
daily deal
daily deals
deals online
discount deals

 
At 1/24/2012 1:30 AM, Blogger HeBankedItIn said...

Me and my friend are 16 and we read this blog everyday. We love it so much we couldn't help but start our own, so we made one that isn't team specific but just focuses on the league as a whole. We have a live updated scoreboard, updated standings and stats, a weekly poll and weekly awards. Also, we have a page called This Day In Basketball History that we update daily. Check it out sometime!

http://hebankeditin.blogspot.com

 
At 1/30/2012 3:02 AM, Blogger gunu kumar said...

I am so much impressed after seeing your blog.it gives us knowledge so I just wanna say its knowledgeable.

seo

 
At 2/20/2012 8:00 PM, Blogger nesh79 said...

Hello,
Nice Blog. I would leave my first comment. Unique and useful to follower. Keep visiting this blog very often.


Cheers,
Top up Prepaid

 
At 2/22/2012 5:36 AM, Blogger gunu kumar said...

A very well-written post. I read and liked the post and have also bookmarked you. All the best for future endeavors
IT Company India

 
At 2/27/2012 12:22 AM, Blogger Felcy said...

Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting.
I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.


Top Dissertation Sites

 
At 3/03/2012 10:50 AM, Blogger Navid said...

I found your blog website on google and check just a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the excellent operate.
World entertainment

 
At 3/09/2012 6:31 PM, Blogger Bologna744 said...

Hi

Tks very much for post:

I like it and hope that you continue posting.

Let me show other source that may be good for community.

Source: Child care teacher interview questions

Best rgs
David

 
At 11/15/2012 8:58 PM, Blogger aminul islam said...



Rap and hip hop beats are used by recording artists and rappers to create a complete song. When the word beat isused with rap and hip-hop it usually refers to that part of the song that is instrumental and does not have any vocal part.Rap and hip hop beats is a layer of instrumental musicwhich usually continues in a loop, for example like the drums continuously playing.

hip hop beats
beats
custom beats
trap beats
rap and hip hop beats
hip hop tracks
beats for sale

 
At 12/27/2012 5:51 AM, Blogger tomal mahmud said...

Golf is a sport that requires a whole lot of technique. The Internet has created opportunities for
golfers to save money on discount golf equipment in many different ways.

golf Shop
golf Store
golf product
american golf clubs
discount golf clubs

 
At 1/17/2013 11:27 PM, Blogger tomal mahmud said...



All of these are really cool shirts! stay cool and feel comfortable with cool color cheap tees to look adorable and
smart!

design a t shirt
print on shirts
digital t shirt printing
custom tee shirts
create t shirts

 
At 4/18/2013 11:09 PM, Blogger Jim Philips said...

It is quite a picture to cross the line with car in that way. Something that should be posted on pay per head bookmaking forum.

 
At 4/25/2013 6:52 AM, Blogger 12 month loans UK said...

Action for the application of the aid budget is not accepted in the face of the complex behavior of any form of this bushing only this. 3 month payday loans are a lot of things through the online approach is an asset burning finance as the fastest approach as an appliance anatomy. Skilled praise lenders as they did not develop the academic à any Apropos Do not get afraid to accession to the claim of the borrower, propos praise check of the borrower over the years.

 
At 4/26/2013 5:32 AM, Blogger Yunus05 said...

Great article keep them coming

Sports Memorabilia

 
At 12/26/2013 12:23 PM, Blogger Rimpi Malhotra said...

Great website, looks very clean and organized
Mumbai Escorts Service
Mumbai Escorts
Mumbai Escorts Agency
Independent Escorts In Mumbai
Mumbai Independent Escorts
Mumbai Escorts Service
Escorts In Mumbai
Mumbai Female Escorts
Mumbai Escort Service
Mumbai Escort
Mumbai Escorts Service
Mumbai Escorts
Mumbai Escorts Agency
Independent Escorts In Mumbai
Mumbai Independent Escorts
Mumbai Escorts Service
Escorts In Mumbai
Mumbai Female Escorts
Mumbai Escort Service
Mumbai Escort

 
At 12/26/2013 12:24 PM, Blogger Rimpi Malhotra said...

I like it most.Keep it up give more latest post.
Mumbai Escorts Service
Mumbai Escorts
Mumbai Escorts Agency
Independent Escorts In Mumbai
Mumbai Independent Escorts
Mumbai Escorts Service
Escorts In Mumbai
Mumbai Female Escorts
Mumbai Escort Service
Mumbai Escort
Mumbai Escorts Service
Mumbai Escorts
Mumbai Escorts Agency
Independent Escorts In Mumbai
Mumbai Independent Escorts
Mumbai Escorts Service
Escorts In Mumbai
Mumbai Female Escorts
Mumbai Escort Service
Mumbai Escort

 
At 1/23/2014 2:32 PM, Blogger sahil sharma said...

Rajeev Provides India’s No 1 Called as Bangalore escorts Bangalore escort, escorts in Bangalore, independent escorts Bangalore, female escorts Bangalore, Call girls in Bangalore

 
At 2/23/2014 8:59 AM, Blogger sonu gupta said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3/03/2014 9:50 AM, Blogger Aron Delir said...

Really informative and useful post.Hope to read more helpful information from you. Great job.

 
At 3/22/2014 3:28 AM, Blogger Ankita Lal said...

Interesting topic.. good post.

High profile, hot, Sexy, Independent VIP girls Escorts in Hyderabad.
High Profile Independent Female Escort

 
At 9/14/2014 5:18 AM, Blogger Ree Jojo said...

Just imagine I read it twice. While I am not as accomplished on this topic, I concur with your closings because they make sense. Thanks and good luck to you.
free music games

barbie cooking games
dress up games
hazel games


job games

anna games

 
At 9/28/2014 10:26 AM, Blogger Kat Kelley said...

The initial step you need to take while searching for a modeling agency should be to identify your category. Outline your career goals then match these phones theLas Vegas Trade Show Models.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home